Interview with Second Brain

Tell us about your latest release: the main concept; what fans should expect; what were/are your goals with it:

To us, the new album is a perfect example of what we call ‘freeform metal’. We feel we’ve managed to successfully blend thrash, death and progressive metal simply by following our natural approach to music. It’s a very dark, complex and even melodic album in places. Lyrically, it’s an introspective journey into the mind and through the contradictions of modern times.

Did you have a specific sound in mind when you formed the band, or did that grow and evolve as you played together?

Second Brain was originally started by Agravain (vocals/guitars) as an outlet for his open-minded approach to metal. That vision has stayed the same through the years and has only grown with the addition of each new band member.

How does your writing process normally work out?

Agravain writes the bulk of the music and lyrics. When he sends his ideas over to Lala Gabarth (vocals, cello), Dagonus (lead guitar) and Anagoor (bass), the songs are usually almost 90% finished, but that remaining 10% is vital and sees every other band member involved.

What are your ambitions and how far do you want to push your band?

There really is no limit to how far we want to push Second Brain. We will keep setting ourselves ever more ambitious goals. We feel we’ve only achieved about 50% of our potential so far.

What are your influences/musical references and the impact those same influences had in your sound?

As a band, we’ve all got different music backgrounds and tastes. Lala was trained as a classical musician and has her own world music/tango project. Dagonus also plays in an Iron Maiden tribute band, while Anagoor and Agravain like virtually all styles of metal. I all of this is reflected in our sound.

What’s next for you?

Along with the album, we will be releasing a video for the song ‘The Mind Awakes’. We are currently working with our live drummer on getting together a powerful and dynamic setlist. If everything goes to plan, we will be announcing live dates soon.